Recipe For Crab Rangoon

Some years ago I worked with a nice Chinese woman who would always bring her Chinese recipes to all the work functions that required a covered dish. I remember at one function she brought us these fried crispy things and I asked her what they were. She said they were crab Rangoon. I had never had them before and thought they were so good.
I asked her how she makes them and learned how simple they were to make. Every since she told me how to make the little crispy appetizers I have made many of them in many ways. I would like to share some of my versions of how I make them. The simplest way to make them is usually the best way since less is more.
Ingredients
Package of wonton wrappers or egg roll wrappers
8 oz package cream cheese
Can of crab meat
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 to 3 green onions
Salt and pepper to taste
Set the cream cheese out on counter to get room temperature. I use the square wonton wrappers but some people like to use egg roll wrappers. I chop the green onions into small pieces. Add the softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl with the crab meat. Depending on how large the can of crab meat is I only use half then I add the chopped onions and minced garlic along with the salt and pepper. I mix all the ingredients together. I take the wonton wrapper and lay it flat on a cutting board and take a tbsp of crab mixture and place in the center of the wrapper in a line across the middle. I use water to wet the edges of the wrapper then fold it over into a triangle pressing the edges together to seal it. Turn on a deep fryer and allow it to get hot. Add the wrappers one at a time to the hot oil turning once. The wonton should float to the top when done and become golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. Serve with a sweet and sour dipping sauce. I also like to make this recipe using a spinach dip with the same ingredients as above but I add a package of frozen spinach (thawed) to the mixture. There are many ways you could make these appetizers depending on the ingredients you choose to use.
Author : Natasha Carmon  

No comments:

Post a Comment